Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Hanging out the clothes

Today I walked for 25 minutes, after a five-minute warm-up and finished off with another five minutes cooling down exercise. I re-gained my lost rhythm and it was a smooth walk. I often change my route to make my walk more interesting, new sight, new sound, that sort of stuff. Today I passed by a corner terrace house and saw a man was hanging out the laundry on the cloths line.

The moment he saw me he turned sheepish. He was wearing a baju melayu (traditional Malay tunic) with a pair of shorts. Oh well he was just doing laundry he need not be dressed to the nines, right? He eyed me if I was staring at him. I looked away pretending not to notice him but was actually dying to have a proper look of his sheepish expression. The sixpence song came to mind:

The king was in the counting house counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlour eating bread and honey,
The maid was in the garden hanging out the clothes
and down came the blackbird and bit off his nose.

Was he sheepish because he might be viewed as the maid or for fear that a blackbird might come down and bit his nose? Dunno.

I walked fast and passed.

No comments: