Monday, May 02, 2005

A pair of red shoes

I bought a pair of running shoes after I heard a scary story about my sister's office mate. Her colleague is a hardworking guy on who has to meet crazy deadlines. One day he passed out while driving, lucky thing that his wife, who was sitting next to him managed to steer the car to the roadside. He was diagnosed as suffering from stress at work place. After the incident the office management organised a healthy lifestyle campaign.


My sister said it also got into her that health is a precious thing which we all took for granted until we lost it. Once she went to the gym regularly and hired a personal trainer to guide her on cardiovascular exercises, breathing exercises and dumbells. It cost her RM160 a month but she said it was all worth it, "I was really fit, had more stamina and more energetic." A job change forced her to quit her exercise routines and she neither have a trainer nor belonged to gym. Being an engineer with the R&D dept at a leading oil and gas company, she travels to Bintulu at least once a month. "But I always take my pair of jogging shoes with me. The hotels usually have a gym to work out," she said.

Her story made me buy the red running trainers. For one week at the end of March, I walked briskly every morning. Today is my second day of walking.

No comments: