Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Golden Spoon

There were a group of us at the food stall at JOTIC: Mas, Ayek, Inul, Norman, Nyngket and me. We had our breakfast, but late comers like Norman, who ordered vanilla coke waited for a while before his order arrived. Nyngket ordered Horlicks kosong with roti bakar, while Inul preferred nescafe. When the boss of the stall came he was summing up the bill, so we told him that we are still waiting for the roti bakar.

The mere question pushed him into an overdrive of emotions.

"Macamana nak buat kejap orang sana panggil kejap sini panggil. Kalau nak kena tunggu aaa."

Nyngket whose getting a trifle irritated, knit her brow and said,"Orang tunggu a nii."

The stall owner, who donned a red and yellow t with Sudu Emas Cafe logo printed on it, went into another burst of emotion about being over-burdened with customer orders. All of us could not make head or tail what he was saying. Norman got embarrased and simply paid.

He hastily took the money and while waiting for the change, Norman said,"The last time I ordered nasi goreng kampung, I had to wait for 45 minutes."

Obviously, the stall owner is someone who despise the customers for placing huge orders. Maybe he is happier if he has less. Maybe God would grant him the happiness he sought after.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is exactly the scenario of kedai melayu...sorry to say ahh..that's why i ngeteh at mamak's with my partner all the time..they are fast and really excited to see us customers. not that the food are really great, just ok, but the service is very important. why they haven't learnt yet puzzles me everytime.

Anonymous said...

what an ungrateful tokei kedai! maybe u're right, he'll get his wish sooner or later, for less orders and customers, that is. and i thought the no "duit kecik" excuse was bad. sigh!

khairyn said...

alooo! Thanks for the reminder you know what.

Once I was made to wait for 40 minutes for my order. The waitress hovered yes, but not to layan the customers instead jadi nyamuk.. jalan dekat pas tu lari. Ceh! In the end I had to call them, satu jalan berlenggang so I asked about my order, she said 'eh ye ke? akak order ke tadi?'

akak head brain dia! She's old enough to be my mom! I told her never mind. Paid my drinks and went off to McD.

And order of course my binatang kesayangan - ayam goreng. Kenyang aku!

Jom rendevous!